Tuesday 13 February 2007

test monitor size

in the marketToday's wanderings took me to the Albert Cuyp street market in De Pijp. I'd been told about it by lots of people but was still unprepared for the glorious assault of colour, smell and variety of the place.

Judge for yourself.

chocolate piecesNo 24 trambike thingsAlbert CuypAlbert Cuyp
nutspicklescheesemore cheeseboxer
flower stallclogsincenseflowerscabbage
Amsterdam xxx ponchokiddy stuffcovered headstorsoswigs
fish mongereelorange juiceAlbert Cuyp straatbike jam
Just as I was taking the picture of the tram, I was accosted by the oddest creature. He was very short, quite aged and dressed in the weirdest outfit. I'd have said his sex was indeterminate but despite his face being caked in heavy makeup, I could tell that a man of sorts lurked beneath as his five 'o clock shadow was quite visible. An aged, small dog (a chihuahua?) was firmly clasped to his chest.

His expression was angry, as was the tone of his voice. He barked at me in Dutch so it took me a while to work out what he was saying.

'Did you take a picture of me?'

He was reassured when I told him that I hadn't and strode (can a very short person stride?) away. Poor guy, he must have people taking pictures of him all the time.

I really wish that I'd been able to take his picture!

Anyway, I know where I'll be buying my fruit and vegetables when I have the chance to get there. Which, alas, will only be Saturdays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home